Terrain Builder: a
tool for viewing and processing many kinds of geospatial data.
- Elevation Data
- Load any number of elevation layers, combine or resample them.
- Import elevation grids from DEM, SDTS, MicroDEM, GTOPO30, SRTM,
DTED, NetCDF, PNG, TIF, GeoTIFF, PGM, Surfer GRD, TerraGen, raw data,
ArcInfo ASCII/Binary, SRTM HGT, and
many other formats
- Export elevation grids to ArcInfo ASCII Grid, GeoTIFF, TerraGen,
BMP, STM, MSI Planet, VRML ElevationGrid, RAW, ChunkLOD
(.chu), PNG 16-bit, 3TX, and more.
- Import TIN data from DXF, ESRI .adf, Aquveo GMS, Stanford PLY.
- Export TIN data to GMS, Collada .dae, VRML .wrl, OBJ, and PLY.
- Native format is BT
for grids and
ITF for TINs,
for use by the vtlib Library and Enviro runtime.
- Supports undersea data, and conversion of data between coordinate systems,
such as reprojecting and merging of DEM files across a UTM boundary.
- Road Data
- Reads road centerline vectors from OpenStreetMap, USGS DLG, ESRI SHP, NTF and other
- Does cleanup processing on the road network topology.
- Allows the user to define intersection behavior and road attributes
including number of lanes and traffic direction.
- Writes to native RMF for use by the vtlib Library and Enviro runtime.
- Building Data
- Imports from many GIS formats, reads and writes native VTST files.
- Select, move and delete buildings, reproject and offset.
- Edit building attributes (shape, number of stories, color, etc.)
- Vegetation Data
- Imports land-use and vegetation-coverage data from USGS LULC and ESRI
- Imports species lists and vegetation zones (biotypes) from text/XML
- Exploits all of the above to do automated placement of vegetation and
export to VF files.
- Multi-layer Formats
- Imports multiple layer types from compound file formats - TIGER (roads,
hydrography), NTF (roads, structures), OSM (roads, structures, power
- Image Data
- You can import several image formats for viewing in conjunction with
other layers, and process them into Tilesets for efficient Enviro visualization
of large imagery (up to hundreds of GB).
VTBuilder runs on all platforms supported by the VTP (Windows, Linux, MacOSX,
Program and source code are part of the full VTP distribution, which are
freely available (open license). If you only
need VTBuilder by itself, you can download a Windows installer for the standalone
(8.7 MB) Or, for 3D visualization with the full VTP software, go to
that download page.
Documentation is online, including a
simple tutorial of using VTBuilder and Enviro together.
Also, Documentation in Italian.
The native VTP formats (BT,
VF) used by VTBuilder are
People using the "INM" software may find VTBuilder useful for
obtaining .3tx files from almost any elevation source.
In fact, VTBuilder is used by a large number of users for non-visualization
purposes, such as
importing terrain into games such as Shrapnel's ATF.