VTP Development Log, 2000
Changes per major release.
Enviro / Terrain libraries
- Major rewrite to support Free, Open-Source 3D libraries including OSG
- Changed the GUI from using MFC to wxWindows, for portability
- Interactive placement of vegetation on the terrain
- Enhancements to the BT format (additional projection info, more precise
- Enhancements to the BCF file (now fully extensible with parameters for
color, footprint, height, etc.)
- More support for building layers, including footprint editing and
- created by combining the previous programs "TBrowser" and "RBuilder"
- converting the projection of any data type
- manual alignment of any layer
- vegetation layers (import only)
- building layers (load, edit, save)
- display elevation height under cursor
- areas of unknown elevation can be hidden (masked)
- view option for reference map of world continental outlines
- more robust handling of non-standard or corrupt DEM file
- allows manual extraction of building footprints
- reduced memory consumption
Enviro / Terrain library:
- reduced memory usage at startup time
April 19, 2000
Enviro / Terrain library:
- Memory requirements were reduced even further - by 40% for SMTerrain.
- Peak memory usage during startup was also reduced.
- More precise draping of object onto the terrain.
- SMTerrain: added a tolerance to frustum culling to reduce culling
errors, and found a much more robust way to do adaptive LOD.
- Added support for already-prelit source textures.
- Ability to add "Points of Interest" to the terrain, which can be
associated with URLs, picked with the mouse, and displayed in a split view.
- Added support for PNG image files, and reduced the number of required
- You can now have as many floating labels as desired, without impacting
- Interactive placement of fences (two types).
- Support for SDTS DEM files!
- Support for the PGM format.
- Fixed a small bug in gap-filling which only occurred when upsampling.
- New "Layers" functionality, allows other types of data besides roads
- New layer types: Buildings (load and save, no modify) and Water
January 27, 2000
- New LOD algorithm! Select the "McNally" option in the Create dialog.
This algorithm uses much less memory than the others and is very fast
- Lindstrom-Koller terrain got faster by 10-15%, and the last remaining
'cracks' in the ground were fixed.
- Terrain shading (pre-computed lighting) is now more subtle and
- New keyboard shortcuts: use 1-6 to jump to stored viewpoints, and Ctrl-C
to toggle culling.
- Reduced memory requirements for terrain overall.
- Improved load time for large terrain.
- An HTML view can now be opened within the Enviro framework, which will
eventually let you combine 3D and 2D information.
- Added a toolbar and a 'selection' mode which lets you pick ground
- New option to not show the terrain elevation - saves time & memory when
processing large datasets.
- Much faster loading, and 4x faster display of terrain.
- Fixed a rare case of "data holes" in the DEM loader.
- UI improvements: fixed Zoom-All, enabled the scroll bars, added panning
with the middle button.
- Now lets you type in the coordinates for area of interest instead of
dragging with the mouse.
- Now displays the Datum for the loaded terrain.
- Now loads faster, and uses less memory while loading.
- New feature to toggle between the "monochrome" and "original color" of
the DRG - can be useful when trying to clean up ambiguous areas.
- Now displays the Datum for the loaded roads, and supports conversion to