Terrain Tools & Software Packages - Location specific
A location-specific field 3D terrain visualization is appearing,
sold to end-users and targeting a specific geographic area. Since it's
aiming for a more widespread and less technical audience, the marketing tends to
be more flashy and include breathless hype - fantastic!, ultimate! - to
get attention in the retail software channel.
- 3D RTE
- A nice 3D viewer with very attractive high-resolution data for a few
parts of Italy.
- The viewer is free, the data is sold on DVD.
- In some areas, it has much higher-resolution than Google Earth.
- Features include visualizing controlled airspace, ski areas, power
lines, river analysis
- The 3D RTE
Youtube Channel has many impressive videos
- "The Ultimate Map of New Zealand"
- the company has licensed an enormous amount of street, elevation and
landcover data from LINZ, and packaged it into an affordable, easy-to-use
map browsing application
- the viewer with basic data (US$67) comes on 1 CD, with extra modules for
things like high-resolution imagery
- there is a 3D View feature, which allows you to fly at a fixed elevation
over a one small area at a time - the low-res texture comes directly from
the 2D map
3D on DVD-ROM, enabling you to see your county or region in fantastic, photo
realistic 3D! Soar over your own street, glide over surrounding
neighbourhoods or open countryside, you’re in control!"
- combines viewer software from
McCarthy Taylor with 2m resolution aerial imagery from
getmapping and 10m
elevation from NextMap Britain
- An interesting pricing approach: for the initial purchase price of £25
you get a pack of 3 DVDs containing the whole of England & Wales, with 47
regions which can be "unlocked". One region is included with the initial
purchase, additional are £12.50 each.
- Mobile 3D City
- an iPhone app with a large textured model of Paris, which is the
only city covered. It costs $4.
- As of July 2010, they plan to support Android and Windows
Mobile, but no plans for more cities.